Tuesday, July 03, 2007

How About That?


A week ago the blue moon came calling. Sky and I got in touch with our silly, faith-is-everything portions and got prepared for a lot of wishing.

"Ack.. we don’t have white. "
Sky rummages, "No white?"
No white.
Pink ?
check
Green ?
check
Yellow ?
check
Red ?
check
Blue ?
check
Sky is amused, "you have enough colored candles to start a shop...But no white?"
I'm forlorn, "No white." I grin suddenly at the irony... white stands for completeness.
I logic-ify with my basic science and think to myself... all colors together make white anyway.
Satisfied with that bit of sense, i turn back to darken the room and cast an eye out. Damn Cesspool. No chance of actually seeing the moon. We espy the glow and are satisfied. We begin lighting our colored candles minus the white.
wait wait… should we be sky clad do you think, for most effect?” I anxiously ask.
Sky looks perplexed.
umm… naked I mean.. I read it on this site. It helps to have no barriers and stuff.”
Sky looks at me. Lopsided smile appears. I suddenly realize that I’m asking a girl who’s rather comfortable in her skin to shed her clothes. The same does not apply to me. I’m the girl who leaps from the dressing room straight to the swimming pool if she can.
I clear my throat, “maybe not. We’ll do just fine with the candles.”
So the little ceremony starts. The candles all lit, we sit and wish. Yellow for our families, pink for love, red for career, green for prosperity and blue for health.
You can wish on the blue moon and you get your wishes. Not a bad bargain once in three years I’m thinking. I shake my head to concentrate on my wishes. My earnestness seems to run out faster. I peek at Sky. She’s still transported fish eyed on her thoughts. (Only those who know Sky can truly appreciate that one).
I shut my eyes tight and re-run on my wishes. I peek again. Still fish eyed.
Hmm… time to take matters into my own hands.
I catch hold of the yellow candle and I say, “So do you want to make some kind of ritual? The powers that be like some formality even if you make it up.”
The fish eye opens completely and focuses on me. We clasp the yellow candle and wish for every family person we can think of… please give Mr. and Mrs. H a happy old age free of the cares they’ve had, please give Sky’s dad better health and mother rest, please give Piper and Philip independence; Myrine true happiness; let Titania find happiness outside of work too; let Mars and Paris have everything they ever want, Paris’ mother and sisters, Sky’s cousins, aunt and uncles, any blood that mattered and since there was no candle colour for friends, we wished for Harry and Sytar and Gaia and Alanis and Katharine and Salvatore and Aldair and Quinn and Smith and well everyone.

Then the blue for health – badima’s diabetes and Elvis’ back and Leo Tio’s general insomnia.
On the red we wished for Sky’s film and for me to have some focus.
The green for our mental and physical and worldly prosperity.
And then the pink. We wished for love. As an Elvis song puts it:

Blue Moon, you saw me standing alone,
Without a dream in my heart,
Without a love of my own,
Blue moon, you knew just what I was there for,
You heard me saying a prayer for,
Someone I could care for.

And then we sat in the glow of the candles and chatted and remembered and sang songs and said passages from Wuthering Heights and wished everyone was there and then we said enough coz there are only so many wishes the moon can answer even on a good night.

Just 3 days later Sky got engaged out of the blue.

picture courtesy: http://www.flickr.com/

7 comments:

iamme said...

Yeah and to think I gave Sky a huge lecture on wishing on blue moon, star light and all that other cosmic hogwash!!! Still, I have a stupid grin on my face since I heard the news. Life...Nice post by the way!!

Unknown said...

gosh I wished I had wished on the blue moon too. :) nice post...

phish said...

Hmmm. Time I tried this too. what does the white one do again?

Goldbug said...

white helps balance and complete you.

Anonymous said...

love the photo.
have been staring at it for the last half an hour...

Anonymous said...

great one....why independence? but did the ritual and u never told me about the dress code for it ....

Anonymous said...

oh this one was in true india style...sytar is smiling. very very nice!