Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Harry Potter and the Unbreakable Pact


The wand arm reach of the boy from Surrey really came home to me when traveling by the BST or BEST (I never quite got that). The gentleman next to me stared right into my pages and without a moment’s hesitation asked me if this was the last book.
Now so many people ask me if I stood in lines and trampled people to get the book that I realized I am a fan.
My newly discovered reputation is suffering since I have to claim that I do not own The Deathly Hallows. Nein. Nyet. No. Fortunately for me my affairs of the heart have been singularly untouched by hype.

Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone

It’s so lovely to unexpectedly find someone who grabs your attention and entangles you without you even drawing breath. Much before Harry got famous, in early 1997, Mrs. H found this book somewhere and got him home. We were moving house then and the beginning was as secret as I could have wished. I was supposed to help carry dusty cartons and carefully unveil pieces from their bubble wrap. But instead I thought I’d read one story of this new book. (I thought they were short stories of magic with the same characters) (Kind of like Pink Whistle). But of course it was so much more. Before I knew it, I was knee deep in still-packed cartons and reading in secret. A pile of boxes gave me cover as I read on and on. My heart beat didn’t drop once. If not the story then Mrs. H suddenly appearing gave enough impetus to push me into this relationship.
It is my most atmospheric start.

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

No… I have not made a mistake. It’s just that our relationship jumped a stage. I read this part next and this is probably the only time in a relationship that I jumped a base. (Snigger. My parallels are so amateur that I’m entertained). Emotionally I like intensity before I like softness and Harry really entrapped me with this one. It had it all – anger, loss, hurt, coming into own, passion and happiness. With this one I knew that it would last.

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

This was the comfort zone of the psychological relationship chart. We’d hit the high notes of intimacy, passion and comfort and now the former two were on a down swing. I enjoyed the company but wasn’t dazzled by the depths. This is when relatives and friends help a relationship - when their words help cement things. Mars and Paris really loved The Chamber of Secrets. Paris goes far enough to say it’s her favourite. Hmm. I went back and read it. For me this book was a work of ‘not enough of the good stuff’. I love the Parselmouth angle and it wasn’t used enough. I love the main plot with the diary and it wasn’t used enough. I was filled but not content. Then I read it again and enjoyed the delicacy. The economy of revealing enough and leaving you wanting. I was no longer in the comfort zone rather raring for more. Who would have thought prosaic Mars and woman of few words Paris could put a zing in for me?!

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Then there was this one. The fourth installment is my favourite. No question. I chewed my lip dry. I was left stunned. I laughed. I marveled at the intricacies. I hated it having to end. And I was so respectful of the forethought that this book revealed. Everything tied up and made sense. It was like being given the key to attraction. Like someone telling you… these are the reasons you love me… and finding that even knowing the reasons doesn’t lessen it. But good things can’t last and the next one proved it.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

If I could wipe out the memory of this one I would. I felt that we had different motivations and were growing apart. Harry had become embroiled in his quest for silver screen fame. I wanted him to stick to his roots. This period in our ten years gave us nothing. No joy, no highs, a litany of let downs and the death of what was to me one of the most hopeful aspects of our relationship. Even THE REVELATION by Dumbledore did nothing to save it.

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

I didn’t wait for him this time. I was curious but felt detached. We’d grown apart and I figured if he had anything to say to me anymore I’d hear it. I feel little pitter patters in my central towards the left region when I think of how sweetly he returned to himself. He threw off the shackles of stardom and seemed to have realized that to win his girl back he’d have to woo her. A little wickedness, a little humour, a lot of kissing and the undercurrent of the earlier darkness. To me this book is more “return of the Kid” than about Snape and his bezoar remedies.

Which leaves me with: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
There was a tension inside me and a tightly leashed excitement. This was our moment, our grand finale and I’ve always liked to know how things are going to be. I was too scared to leap in and it matters that we go raging. I’m sure lovers, writers, film critics, venture capitalists, entrepreneurs, politicians, sportspersons and readers around the world will agree with me - There is nothing worse than a bad ending.
I heave a sigh of relief and wait in anticipation for this weekend. I mean to give us uninterrupted time.

picture courtesy: http://www.flickr.com/

2 comments:

phish said...

please. get over it.

Goldbug said...

will not. shall not. u're the one who got me thinking!