Monday, May 22, 2006

Will it rain, do you think?

One of the nicer things about living in a city like Cesspool is sitting by the sea. I’m supposed to meet the girls after my run at the Seaside Cafe. (seriously lacking in imagination but you couldn’t get more sea side). I’m running late.
I zip into the place. It’s empty as usual. Beyond the huge glass windows all you can see in the distance is the sea and blackness. Closer are the rocks and filth. We never look at it, just into the horizon. Maybe that’s that makes Cesspool a city of achievers and dreamers. Everyone is avoiding looking at reality.
I pant my way to the chair opposite Harry and Sytar, “others?”
“Gaia’s caught up in a press con.” Harry grins wickedly, “Some toothpaste launch no doubt.” Gaia’s a reluctant FMCG reporter for a news channel. She’s pushing for her own environment based show.
“Sky?” I wheeze.
Sytar shrugs. On cue her phone beeps. Message from Sky. I raise my brow.
Won’t be able to make it. Got work. Really wanted to come.
This time I shrug. “So what were you guys talking about?”
“Back ups”
“Ahh.. I guess everyone needs to keep a contingency guy.”
“Computer backups, India, computers.” Sytar shakes her head. I grimace. Harry looks interested.
“So you have one huh? A back up?”
“Sure. Got him lined up a year ago.” I slouch in my chair with legs stretched out looking superior.
“Who? George? J.B? That Wodehousish guy from college?” Sytar can’t believe it when I keep shaking my head, “who else would you make your backup?”
“The flaw in your reasoning is that you think I want safe backup.” Getting into the spirit of things, I lean forward, indolent pose forgotten, “see.. why would we need a backup who’s a friend? I mean he’s your friend and if you’re settling for less then you may as well agree to the arranged marriage. But if you want a true backup, then get yourself a backup not of compromise but a romantic adventure.”
The words romance and adventure together shoot energy thru me, kind of like if Indiana Jones rappled up the Empire State Building to meet Annie (Think Sleepless in Seattle not Orphan). I sigh and look into the distance trying to look both adventurous and romantic. The effect is spoilt by the sudden arrival of the waiter.
“Fresh Lime water” I mutter. He disappears.
Sytar looks incredulous, “A romantic backup? How does that work? You can’t just plan to fall in love.”
I smirk., “Look, you remember I’d gone for that book reading at Rain?” I get nods. “well.. I met a guy there. He was one of the readers. And it was corny but he looked so familiar. And after an hour of covert glances, we finally asked each other if we’d met.”
Harry and Sytar groan and snicker, “Couldn’t you guys come up with a better line?”
“It wasn’t a line. That’s what makes it so crazy.. both of us thought we’d met but we’d never been in the same city ever. Then..”
I’m interrupted with, “..a past life connection,” from Sytar and, “so he must have been hot” from Harry.
I shake my head, “not particularly. Nice voice.”
“A not- hot backup. Sheesh India.”
“I’m not done. A few weeks later I went for a friend’s directorial theatre debut. Well, this guy was in it. And as I sat at the back of the auditorium watching the set being put in place, I suddenly hear him say thoughtfully, ‘India’.
I looked up and quaked out a ‘yes?’, he looks back, startled, and puzzles aloud, ‘no, umm.. sorry.. just thinking aloud.
I go back to pretending to read.”
The other two are looking at me suspiciously.
I grin, “So now if love doesn’t happen to me, I’m going to happen to it. I’m going to track this guy and proposition him and the very idea of it is enough,” I gather breath, “for what is love if not anticipation, for what is love if not hope and adventure..” I’m catching steam, my eyes are just about to start gazing when the waiter reappears with a chocolate truffle.
Straight-faced he says, “Patsy?”
As the girls burst out laughing, I mutter a yes.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

phunny, engaging, phunny. well done! resent humour related to the faraway gaze though. would expect some defense for the pupil of romance.

Anonymous said...

so did india ever get in touch with mr back up?!

Goldbug said...

no. i think she's still waiting for The Powers That Be/ Fate to handle things. i believe she might have a birthday deadline on that.

iamme said...

What do you do when you need a back up for the back up? Just a thought!!